Board of Governors
As a member of the NCG Board of Governors your personal and professional knowledge, skills and experience is what we value most and we ask that you actively contribute to the Corporation and its committees. The responsibilities of those who hold a position on NCG’s Board of Governors enable the Corporation to carry out their responsibilities in respect of the Instrument and Articles of Government, Standing Orders and Code of Conduct.
The Board of Governors are supported by Local College Boards which act as committees of the Corporation and take responsibility for the curriculum choice for each college, for meeting local business plan targets and for delivery of high quality education and training in all our communities.
NCG Governors fall into 3 distinct categories; Independent Governors; Staff Governors; Student Governors. These categories represent NCG’s three primary stakeholder groups and offer a broad and diverse perspective. Regardless of category, all Governors have responsibility for the following key functions:
- Determination and periodic review of the educational character and mission.
- Approving the Quality Strategy.
- Ensuring the effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the Corporation and the safeguarding of their assets.
- Approval of annual estimates of income and expenditure.
- Appointment, grading, pay and performance management of senior post holders, including the Clerk.
- Setting a framework for the pay and conditions of service of all colleagues.
- Assisting in the formulation and monitoring of the Groups Strategic direction, which provides the essential framework, for internal management.
- Agree annual targets, to monitor Groups performance.
- Attend appropriate Governor Induction and training events, as required.
- Participate in the annual self-assessment of governance.
- Ensure plans are in place for an orderly succession of membership, to maintain an appropriate balance of skills and experience